Hello my lovely cat people!
This is a new series of mine, Q&Rage, where every Friday I would talk about something that I have liked or thought about in the past week that caught my attention and then leave you with a question to answer for the comments. It’s not a compulsory thing, obviously, but I thought it would be nicer to get to know you guys better and grow stronger as a community. 🙂
My favourite for the past year, actually, not just week, has been music. And whilst music is a favourite for a lot of people, I feel like music has been a very big part of me this year. It has gotten me through some very tough times and let me cool down when I needed it. I listened also to a lot of upbeat music when I went to several parties this year, which was a good way to forget about my other problems that I had either at school or at home. It had also helped me to come out of my shell as a singer, as I performed for the school with one of my favourite songs at the time. Even though it didn’t go as well for me, I received a very positive response from a lot of people, which gave me confidence to potentially perform again in the future.
Now, for my recommendations for music, here are my Top 10, not in any particular order. This is not sponsored by any person or company, just something that I’d like to share with you guys. Give it a listen, if you like, in your free time and maybe get it somewhere. 😛
My question is, how did music impact on your life this year? What music did you really like this year? Leave your comments below, as well as some music suggestions, I would love to listen to them! 🙂
1. BANKS – GODDESS. This is SUCH a great album! The singer, Banks, has a very Lorde or even Florence and the Machine voice, in a couple of her songs. It’s more of a Pop album, so if you’re not that into this genre, I wouldn’t recommend it for you. I especially enjoy Alibi, This is What it Feels Like, You Should’ve Known…, and Fuck ‘Em Only We Know. But really, all the songs are amazing!
2. BETTY WHO – SLOW DANCING (EP) and TAKE ME WHEN YOU GO. These two albums are also really great and again, Pop genre. I’ve found this singer through a YouTuber, Tyler Oakley, who used one of her songs, Heartbreak Dream, in one of his videos. I’ve listened to her songs since and I’ve been loving them a lot! Along with that song, I also really like California Rain and High Society from her new album, Take me When You Go.
3. THE CHILD OF LOV – THE CHILD OF LOV (BONUS TRACK VERSION). I’ve found this artist only yesterday and this is more of an electronic Pop. His style is very different, I feel, and would not be something for everyone, as the harmonies in some parts are really absurd and sound like they are really out of sync! But there is something about his music that I really like… Since I’ve only listened to 2 songs on his album so far, I can recommend Heal and Call Me Up. If you like, I can keep you updated on the rest of the songs, let me know in the comments! 🙂
4. CHVRCHES – THE BONES OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE. Once again, I have found this artist through a YouTuber, Marzia, who was talking about her music favourites. This is very Electronic, again, but also has a Pop feel to it. The music is very relaxing, to me anyway, and I find it enjoyable. The tracks that I particularly like are The Mother We Share, We Sink and Lungs. There is also a vinyl copy out there, like most of the music nowadays really, and I can see how this particular style would sound amazing through a little crackle from a record player. Definitely would recommend!
5. EMAROSA – EMAROSA and VERSUS. I’ve found this band this year as well, but my god, they are truly amazing! If you are into Heavy Rock, or Rock in general, these two albums are definitely for you. The lead singer kind of reminds me a little of Papa Roach. 🙂 From the two albums, my favourites are A Toast to Future Kids from Emarosa, People Like Me We Just Don’t Play and Cliff Notes from Versus.
6. JAMES VINCENT MCMORROW – POST TROPICAL. This artist I have also found through Marzia and let me tell you, his voice is amazing! He’s probably a Soprano, in musical terms, which for a man is quite amazing. He also kind of reminds me of Bon Iver, as he’s got a similar-sounding voice to him. Like Marzia mentions in her video, his voice is very innocent sounding, but his songs actually hold a very deep meaning. My favourites are Cavalier, Red Dust and Look Out.
7. KONGOS – LUNATIC. I’ve found this band only a few days ago, but they are so good!!! They are an Alternative genre, for sure, but are also quite Rock-y in some songs. Some favourites from their album are Come With me Now, This Time I Won’t Forget, and It’s A Good Life.
8. LILLY WOOD & THE PRICK – THE FIGHT and INVINCIBLE FRIENDS. These guys are amazing!! They also sort of remind me of Florence and the Machine, which I really like. Their genre is, once again, more Pop or maybe even Alternative. Some of the songs that I really enjoy from both of the albums are, Where I Want to Be and Le Mas (although this one is a little weird..) from The Fight, and Hey It’s Ok and Cover My Face from Invincible Friends.
9. TIM MINCHIN – ALL OF HIM! (not the name of the album, just by the way 😉 ) Tim Minchin has been my favourite for a while now, but this year I’ve been listening to him more than ever. He writes his own songs, he’s an Australian comedian and an amazing piano player! Like really, especially his jazz-y stuff…. His songs are very relatable to the “times” and are very truthful also. He does swear a lot and is not religious, as well as many other things, so if you are easily offended, I would not recommend this one. Some of my favourites from his works are Confessions, Prejudice, Cage-Nerd, White Wine in the Sun, Thank You God, and Not Perfect.
10. PENTATONIX – VOL. III and THAT’S CHRISTMAS TO ME. I’ve been in love with this group for so long now! This year, they just kept bringing everything to the table. These guys are definitely a Pop genre group, but they are also an acapella group, which means they sing using only their vocals. I really like the bass singer, Avi, he is my god, honestly… Some of my favourites from those two albums are Problem, La La Latch, Standing By, That’s Christmas To Me, White Winter Hymnal and Winter Wonderland/Don’t Worry Be Happy.
There are so many more artists that I would love to list, but cannot, since it will be a very long post, but if you’d like me to do another Top 10, let me know. 🙂 Just on a side note also, most of the genres I’ve listed here are Pop and Electronic, but are not the only music I enjoy. I’d say my favourite genre is Alternative and Rock, so don’t think I’m just a Pop queen. 😉
I love you all~! ❤